You Can Get Your US Prescription Filled in Canada—Here's How
online pharmacy customer service
Wondering how to fill US prescriptions in Canada?
Why? Drugmakers are boosting the costs of common drugs, and Americans are taking more and more medications. If you rely on prescription medication for your health, your wallet may be feeling lighter these days – and it doesn’t seem like that will change anytime soon.
However, prioritizing your physical and mental health doesn’t have to come at the expense of your financial security.
More and more, savvy Americans are choosing to fill their prescriptions through online mail-order pharmacies in other countries.
How does that work?
(And, more importantly – how do I get a US prescription filled in Canada?)
Here’s the answer – and a step-by-step guide to help you cash in on the benefits of filling prescriptions through an international and Canadian online pharmacy.
Can I Get a Prescription Filled in Canada?
Short answer? Yes, you can – but the process (though simple!) using internet pharmacies internationally may not be as immediately intuitive as strolling down to your corner brick-and-mortar American pharmacy.
Let’s talk about Canadian prescription fulfillment for US patients. First, we’ll break down everything you need to know, starting with a simple question:
If you live in the United States, can you get a prescription filled in Canada?
Can You Transfer Prescriptions to Another Country?
Yes, but there’s a small catch.
In America, your doctor probably sends your prescription straight to a nearby pharmacy, no further action needed on your part.
To transfer prescriptions to another country, you will need to take specific steps to route your prescription yourself. Your doctor won’t automatically do it on your behalf.
(This doesn’t have to be complicated. In fact, we’re here to help you make the entire process as simple and stress-free as possible.)
Here’s what you need to know:
- If you have a current prescription set up with your U.S.-based pharmacy, the pharmacy will not transfer that existing prescription to a pharmacy in Canada and nor can the Canadian pharmacy accept it. Instead, you’ll need to speak with your healthcare provider and get a new prescription.
- If you’re interested in buying from an online Canadian pharmacy for significant savings and quick shipping, you will need a written prescription from your doctor and you can then send it directly to us.
- The best Canadian pharmacies will process U.S. prescriptions into local ones for filling. You don’t need to have a Canadian healthcare contact, yourself.
- When you request an updated prescription from your U.S. doctor, ask them to send it to your preferred online Canadian pharmacy or you can do it yourself. The healthcare provider reviewing prescriptions for the Canadian pharmacy will review the prescription, check it against the patient’s medical information, and write a valid Canadian prescription through this independent medical review process.
While this process can sound complex it actually isn’t and is rather seamless as it happens without any effort from the patient while the perks and lower prices offered by reputable online Canadian pharmacies make requesting a new prescription from your doctor worthwhile.
That’s not all. The independent medical review by another doctor can be a second valuable check from a trained professional to ensure you’re getting safe, effective care.
Next, let’s take a moment to discuss why millions of Americans are ordering their brand-name prescription drugs from Canada.
The Serious Perks of Mail-Order Prescription Drugs
What are mail-order prescription drugs – and how can prescription meds shipped from Canada be genuinely life-changing for American patients’ healthcare?
Let’s dig into a quick definition.
Mail-order prescription drugs are, simply, prescription drugs ordered by phone or online and delivered by mail. Patients who opt for mail-order drugs experience the following benefits:
- Quick ordering processes from the comfort of their own home
- The ability to price-match and educate themselves as much as they want before ordering
- Online-only perks, like refill reminders for longer-term prescriptions or the ability to check the status of your order online
- Lower prices, particularly from pharmacies that don’t have a U.S. brick-and-mortar presence or insurance requirements
- An easy-to-reference prescription and order history
- …and more!
There’s a lot to gain and buying critical medications online can be a shift from the way you’re used to doing things.
We understand that ordering your necessary meds online can feel entirely new. Our goal is to make your prescription medications (and the above perks!) as accessible and affordable as possible.
To do that, next, let’s talk about exactly what you need to do to start getting your meds shipped straight to your front door!
How to Fill US Prescriptions in Canada (A Complete Guide)
Once you’ve decided that filling your US prescription in Canada is the best strategy for you and your family, you might have moved on to wondering how the international prescription filling process works.
We’ll make this simple:
- Start with an updated, accurate, and valid prescription for your required medication. You may need to call your doctor’s office, schedule an appointment, or send them a message to set this up properly.
- Once you have your prescription and know the exact details of your preferred brand name or generic drug and dosage, it’s time to research. Browse the available medications at the online pharmacy, determine pricing, and read any educational materials available to ensure that you’re making the best choice for your health. (This can seem like a lot, but the best online pharmacies make all of this information very accessible to you – which means that you can take care of all of this work in a few short minutes, all in one place.)
- Submit your prescription and medical history information to the online pharmacy. You should be able to do this via email, mail, fax, or even a simple direct upload. Alternatively, you may also be able to ask your doctor to send your prescription directly to the online Canadian pharmacy, instead of any more local ones you may have used previously. You should be able to find the information to give your doctor easily on the pharmacy’s website.
- Finally, place your order. Ordering mail-order prescriptions online is as simple as clicking “add to cart” and following the online prompts to submit secure payment. Many online pharmacies also make it easy to order by phone, fax, email, or even traditional mail, if any of those methods would work better for you!
Once the pharmacy has received your order and double-checked it against your prescription and medical history for safety, they’ll ship it.
No need to take time out of your day, make sure there’s gas in the car, deal with traffic, or any other small frustrations associated with errands – instead, your meds will come straight to you!
Easy, Safe Ways to Find Canadian Pharmacies that Fill US Prescriptions
While the above four-step process may seem simple – and, trust us, it is! – it does make one critical assumption.
To get your US prescription filled in Canada or internationally, you need to find a great online pharmacy to work with.
We believe we’re a stellar option – as do hundreds of thousands of consistently-satisfied customers – but we know we’re biased. So, here, we want to give you the tools to find, vet, and start working with an online international pharmacy you can trust.
This does require some effort up front. There are legions of unscrupulous businesses and unsafe online companies interested in taking your money and sending you counterfeit, illegitimate, or even dangerous products.
Here are three practical tips to keep in mind to sift out unwanted options as you start your search:
- Check for respected third-party certifications. You may not be able to personally verify a pharmacy’s legitimacy, sourcing processes, or quality standards – but there are associations that specifically oversee online pharmacy safety and security so you don’t have to. For example, when looking at online Canadian pharmacies, check for certifications from the Canadian International Pharmacy Association (CIPA) and the International Pharmacy Association of British Columbia (IPABC).
- Ensure you can speak with a real person. Having a service center with knowledgeable, friendly people who can provide relevant assistance shows that a pharmacy team cares about its customers. The presence of a dedicated customer support team is also a good indicator of the type of experience you’re likely to have when working with the online pharmacy! (If you want to go the extra mile, ask the online pharmacy about their pharmacists' and pharmacy techs' credentials. This should offer extra assurance that you’re in good hands.)
- Steer clear of suspiciously exaggerated claims. If it seems like an online pharmacy is plastering its site with promises no real medication can actually deliver, run! Online pharmacies that prey on the desperate need of American patients for better health have no business serving you. The pharmacy you choose should tout its service, shipping, ease of use, and high-quality processes – not tell you outright that its drugs can certainly cure chronic illnesses.
- Look for markers of internet credibility. Reputable online pharmacies exhibit consistent indicators of a smooth, safe remote interaction. Check for a stellar TrustScore, see whether the website has a Norton Shopping Guarantee, and determine whether TrustGuard has verified the site. These markers denote reviewer satisfaction, transaction security, and trustworthy credentials.
- Read through previous customer experiences! Of course, the best way to determine whether a pharmacy will work well for you is to check in with your peers – the other people who have recently interacted with your preferred online pharmacy. At NorthWestPharmacy.com, we are delighted that our customers have taken the time to share their (glowing!) thoughts about their experience working with us! We are the most independently reviewed and five-star rated online pharmacy in the world with over 425,000 customer reviews.
Pro tip: Once you’ve identified an international or online Canadian pharmacy that seems like a good fit, give the customer service desk a quick call to see if anyone answers.
Whether you ask a relevant question or simply state that you’re doing research and want to see if you could reach someone, you should be able to connect with a friendly person and get the information you need quickly.
Making this first call may feel awkward, but it doesn’t need to be. Your online pharmacy’s customer care team is there to streamline the process of getting your medications. After making this initial contact, you should feel much more comfortable about filling your U.S. prescriptions by Canadian pharmacies (and saving a lot of money along the way!)
Ready to Get US Prescriptions Filled in Canada?
If you’re navigating the labyrinthian logistics of filling prescriptions as an American patient (or figuring out healthcare for a loved one), you’re tackling a lot.
Prescription medication prices are soaring.
Insurance premiums are skyrocketing as well.
And, even if you feel you can afford your US prescription price this month, there’s no assurance that drug companies won’t hike up prices even further next year.
(That’s to say nothing of the fact that simply finding your needed medications can be costly, time-consuming, and utterly frustrating.)
It’s time for that to change. By working with an international and online Canadian pharmacy, Americans are paying lower prices for brand-name medications and spending less time and stress managing their healthcare.
Here’s how it works: First, check out our expansive selection of safe, high-quality brand-name prescription drugs. We’ve packed our site with helpful medication information, easy-to-find prices, and thoughtful guides to help you make the best choices for your care. Then, give our team a call. We understand that shopping for medication online can feel overwhelming, so our 7-day-a-week customer service team is ready to assist with any questions you may have (and even help you order over the phone, if you wish). You can even speak with our licensed pharmacists if you have questions about your prescriptions.
When you’re ready, order your prescription medications with a few clicks through our website or over the phone – and then your medication will be processed and shipped to you in a timely manner.
Want to learn more before you order? Check out our newsletters and special feature articles for up-to-date industry info, or check out our online pharmacy ratings on TrustPilot.com and Shopper Approved. We’re proud to have a 4.8/5 star rating across hundreds of thousands of verified customer reviews!
Call NorthWestPharmacy.com at 1-866-539-5330 to order prescriptions for less, or send us an email. Our safe Canadian online pharmacy and international drugstore is ready to help you save money!