What's the Cheapest Way to Buy Apoquel and Alternatives for Dogs?
Apoquel provides effective relief to dogs who suffer from chronic atopic dermatitis. It’s a newer medication, has few side effects, and works quickly.
That’s the good news.
Apoquel is also very expensive – which means that American dog owners are asking some very specific questions. For example:
What’s the cheapest way to buy Apoquel?
Is there an alternative to Apoquel for dogs?
And are there ways to make sure that buying Apoquel online is safe?
Here, we’ll tell you everything you need to know about buying Apoquel cheaply, alternatives to Apoquel, and the benefits of working with an online Canadian pet pharmacy.
What Is Apoquel?
Apoquel (oclacitinib) is a pet prescription medication that can help reduce itching and inflammation in dogs. If your dog suffers from an allergic skin condition, such as allergic dermatitis or atopic dermatitis, Apoquel can make your pet’s life much more pleasant.
The active ingredient in Apoquel, oclacitinib, targets specific chemical messengers (called “cytokines”) in the body’s inflammatory response pathway. By blocking cytokines, Apoquel stops excess inflammation in its tracks.
Since an overactive inflammatory response is usually the root cause of itching, rashes, redness, and other symptoms associated with dermatitis, taking Apoquel can result in effective, fast relief.
Most dogs tolerate Apoquel very well. Some canine companions will suffer occasional side effects, though. Apoquel’s side effects include diarrhea, decreased appetite, and vomiting.
How Much Does Apoquel Cost?
Apoquel is a newer medication, and it’s known to be effective.
Unfortunately, this means that it’s not an inexpensive option, especially for pet medicines. In America, pet owners can buy Apoquel for about $2.50 per tablet, in addition to the cost of going to the vet and obtaining a valid prescription.
If you’re looking for ways to save on your pet’s meds, online Canadian pet pharmacies can provide exactly what you need. Here, through NorthWestPharmacy.com, you can buy brand-name Apoquel for around $1.85 per tablet – up to 26% in savings.
Why Is Apoquel So Expensive?
Apoquel is a pet medication that relieves a common, chronic problem. Why is it so costly?
Prescription medications in America are generally very expensive.
Manufacturers spend millions of dollars researching, developing, producing, and marketing their drugs. These companies want a return on that investment, so they price their products extremely high.
(And, in America, the government does not regulate prescription price medications – so if a medication is effective and unique, there’s little to keep the manufacturer from setting prices wherever they want.)
Often, Americans can opt for a generic alternative of a pricey prescription drug. With Apoquel, that’s not an option.
There is no generic alternative for Apoquel. Further, the patent for brand-name Apoquel doesn’t expire until 2026. This makes it extremely unlikely that we’ll see a generic for Apoquel anytime soon.
This may put you in a frustrating position if your vet recommends Apoquel. Fortunately, you don’t have to resign yourself to paying sky-high retail med prices in America.
Here’s the Cheapest Way to Buy Apoquel: Four Ideas to Save
If you’re seeking steep savings on brand-name Apoquel, consider the following strategies:
- Shop around and price match. You don’t necessarily have to buy your pet’s Apoquel at the brick-and-mortar pharmacy or veterinarian office in your hometown. Different clinics and pharmacies in the area may have widely varying price ranges for Apoquel and alternative treatments. Of course, calling around or visiting these stores in person to check prices can take a considerable amount of time, so finding an online pharmacy website that lists out transparent pricing structures for all of its available meds will be helpful.
- Buy a slightly larger supply. If you know your dog will require long-term treatment with Apoquel, ask your doctor if they’d recommend a prescription for a larger quantity of Apoquel. Many pharmacies will dispense a 2- or 3- month supply of some chronic medications. Often, the cost per unit is lower when you order a larger supply of medication, which means you can save over time.
- See if you qualify for manufacturer rebates. Zoetis, the manufacturer of Apoquel, has a rewards program that can help you save on future veterinary services or products. Your vet can help you determine eligibility for this type of program.
- Check out what an international drugstore can offer you. If you’d like to take advantage of price matching, the ability to buy 3-month supplies of Apoquel, and convenient shipping, it may be time to check out what a Canadian pet pharmacy can offer you.
Why Can Canadian Pet Pharmacies Help You Save So Much?
Online pet pharmacies in Canada (and internationally) can provide reliable savings for several reasons. These include:
- Lower prices for the pharmacy: The Canadian government regulates drug prices to keep them affordable, which means that the pharmacy itself doesn’t have to spend as much on drug acquisition. Usually, Canadian pharmacy websites pass those savings down to the customer.
- Generic medications: While finding high-quality generic pet medications in America can be challenging, Canadian online pet pharmacies make it easy to see what medications and generics are available. (For example, even though there isn’t a generic Apoquel, there is a generic version of Atopica – and we make it easy to find by putting its information on the same page as the brand equivalent.)
- International shipping. Instead of going out of your way to drive to at least one in-person pet pharmacy to find low prices, with Canadian pet pharmacies, you can log in, purchase your meds, and ship them straight to your front door. This saves time and stress, as well as transit costs.
It’s becoming increasingly common for American pet owners to ship their pet’s meds from Canada and internationally because of these price savings.
However, buying such essential products online can feel a bit risky. You might be wary of your online safety or dangerous counterfeit medications, especially when the prices are much lower than those in America.
We understand those instincts – which is why we’ve made sure our products are reliable and our processes protect you at every turn.
How Can You Know Canadian Pet Pharmacies Are Safe?
Want to make sure you’re buying Apoquel cheaply and safely?
You don’t have to choose between those two goals, but you do have to make sure you’re working with a reputable online pharmacy. Here’s what we recommend looking for:
- Comprehensive, constantly updated industry and medication information. The best pharmacy websites ensure you have the info you need to make good choices about your healthcare.
- Varied ways to order the medication you need. For example, through NorthWestPharmacy.com, you can order by phone, through our private online payment process, by fax, or even by traditional mail.
- Pharmacist Access. Reputable Canadian online pharmacies double-check prescriptions against patient medical histories to ensure they’re safe. If you would ever like to discuss your prescription or a pet’s prescription with a pharmacy healthcare professional, you should be able to do that.
- Third-party accreditation. In Canada, reputable pharmacy accreditation organizations, such as CIPA (Canadian International Pharmacy Association), monitor online and international drugstores based in Canada. If the site you’re looking at has a CIPA seal of approval, you can feel confident that the site has been thoroughly vetted for safety and accuracy.
- Proof of internet security. Finally, you’ll want to make sure that the website itself is safe for you to use and send personal information through. Indications of this kind of safety include verifications through TrustGuard and Norton.
On the other hand, there are a few online drugstore red flags that you’ll want to keep in mind. For example:
- If the online pharmacy doesn’t require prescriptions
- If the online pharmacy makes outsized, too-good-to-be-true promises
- If the site doesn’t have great customer reviews
- If the site doesn’t have any accreditations (or you can’t verify the accreditation on the third-party organization’s website)
Once you’ve determined that the online Canadian pet pharmacy website you’re considering looks legitimate, it’s time to think about which medication is best for your pet.
Is There an Alternative to Apoquel for Dogs?
Yes, there are Apoquel alternatives. Here are some of the most popular options you can learn about and order through NorthWestPharmacy.com.
Vanectyl P (or Temaril P)
Vanectyl P (trimeprazine/prednisolone) is a pet medication that can help manage inflammation and itching associated with allergic skin conditions.
It contains two active ingredients – trimeprazine and prednisolone.
Trimeprazine is an antihistamine. It blocks the part of the overactive inflammatory response that depends on histamine. This alone can reduce the painful itching caused by dermatitis, but that’s not the only thing Vanectyl P does.
Prednisolone is a corticosteroid. It suppresses the immune system, which is extremely helpful when the immune system is overreacting. This doubles down on Trimeprazine’s anti-inflammatory effects to provide efficient relief for your pet.
Vanectyl P has a list of side effects, including an increased risk of infection, appetite, and weight gain. If you decide to use Vanectyl P to manage your dog’s skin condition, your veterinarian will want you to monitor your dog closely to ensure they’re not suffering undue side effects.
How Much Does Vanectyl P Cost?
American patients typically pay about $36.00 for a 30-tab supply, which could last for 2-4 weeks. That’s around $1.20 per tablet.
To save up to 50%, you can buy your dog’s prescribed Vanectyl P through NorthWestPharmacy.com for about $0.60 per tablet.
Atopica (cyclosporine A) can also treat atopic dermatitis. Unlike Vanectyl P, Atopica’s main ingredient is neither an antihistamine nor a corticosteroid.
Instead, Cyclosporine A suppresses the immune system by blocking a specific type of white blood cell from recognizing and attacking foreign substances within the body. When this immunosuppressive activity happens strategically, it can calm an overactive immune system and reduce the redness and itchiness associated with dermatitis.
Generally, veterinarians will prescribe antihistamines and corticosteroids first to see whether simpler or lower-strength medications will work well for your pet. If your dog does not respond to these other medications or you know they have a terrible reaction to steroid medications, Atopica may be worth considering.
Depending on your dog's dose, you may give them one capsule of Atopica once or twice daily. You should see results with Atopica after several weeks of administration. Atopica is associated with some side effects, including diarrhea, vomiting, and loss of appetite.
How Much Does Atopica Cost?
You can buy 15 capsules of Atopica through NorthWestPharmacy.com starting at around $57.00.
Are There Other Apoquel Alternatives?
There are other alternative medications and treatments that can help dogs alleviate their atopic dermatitis. For example, you could consider the following:
- OTC antihistamines. If your dog has a relatively light or one-off case of dermatitis, an over-the-counter option like Claritin, Zyrtec, or Benadryl may help. This may not be the best solution if your dog’s condition is severe or chronic.
- Fatty acid supplements. Sometimes, giving your dog omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids can help lower their systemic inflammation. Often, doctors will recommend this type of supplementation alongside traditional prescription medications.
- Topical treatments. You may be able to relieve some of your dog’s suffering by treating them with a special cream or medicated shampoo. Your veterinarian can give you the best recommendation for your dog’s specific needs.
Need to Find Low-Cost Apoquel and Affordable Alternatives?
Watching your pet live with chronic atopic dermatitis is hard – to say nothing of the misery your dog is going through. Yet when the most effective treatments for atopic dermatitis are priced inaccessibly high, it might feel like you have to make tough decisions about your family’s healthcare.
At NorthWestPharmacy.com, we don’t think Americans should ever have to choose between treating their dog’s rashes and making their rent payments on time.
That’s why we sell reliably affordable brand-name medications through our safe online Canadian pharmacy and international drugstore.
Simply have your veterinarian send your pet’s prescription to our team, and we’ll help you order your dog’s Apoquel or other dermatitis medication in minutes.
If you’re interested in learning more about how we can help you, check out our online customer reviews, or chat with our knowledgeable, friendly customer service team seven days a week. You can call us at 1-866-539-5330, or contact us online. The team at NorthWestPharmacy.com looks forward to helping you support your pet’s optimal health.